Wingding 2014 Day12
Saturday July 12
Fort Bridger State Historic Site
Fort Bridger State Historic Site can be reached by taking Interstate 80,
Exit 34 then going approximately three miles south.
Established by Jim Bridger and Louis Vasquez in 1843, as an emigrant supply
stop along the Oregon Trail. It was obtained by the Mormons in the early
1850s, and then became a military outpost in 1858. In 1933, the property was
dedicated as a Wyoming Historical Landmark and Museum.
There are several restored historical buildings from the military time
period, a reconstructed of the trading post operated by Jim Bridger, and an
interpretive archaeological site containing the base of the cobble rock wall
built by the Mormons during their occupation of the fort. All of these
locations are signed in Braille. In addition, a museum containing artifacts
from the various different historical time periods is housed in the 1888
stone barracks building. There are gift shops in both museums and the
reconstructed trading post. There is no camping available at Fort Bridger.
Ft. Bridger Historical Association
PO Box 112
Fort Bridger, WY 82933
call Tisa at 307-782-3842
Site Grounds and Museum Hours: Site Grounds open year-round 8 a.m. to
Bridger/Vasquez Trading Co.
May 1-Sept. 30: 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Daily
Oct. 1-April 30: Closed
Established in 1843 by Jim
Bridger and Louis Vasquez, Fort Bridger was one of the most important stops
on the Oregon Trail. In 1855 the fort was purchased by Mormons who were the
ones using the trail the most at the time. Shortly, the Mormans conflicted
with the United States government and the fort and what buildings were not
burned were taken over by U.S. troops. Many buildings were built during the
army occupation of the site and many of those still stand today.
Built in 1842 by famous mountain man Jim Bridger. Used as a trading post,
and a stop for outfitting emigrants along the overland route. Trouble with
the Mormons in 1857 resulted in the burning of the fort. It was rebuilt in
1858 and then become a military post to help control Indian depradations.
During the 1860's it became a stage stop for the Pony Express and Overland
Stage routes. Today a number of original buildings from 1858 through 1890
are still standing. Many have been restored and are open to the public,
including a museum and the first school house in Wyoming. Submitted by